Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Two-Tone

"Hello?"
"Yeah? Who's there?"
"Dave, David. This is my house... who's in my home?"
"Who do you think is in your home Dave? Guess. Who's always in your home."
"Ummm... I don't know... I'm usually alone. Who is it?"
"Dave."
I enter the room and see myself sitting at the chair, watching TV in my chair. He stands and offers the seat to me.
"Sorry, I was just keepin' it warm for you. It is a really comfortable chair isn't it?"
"Yeah. My favorite."
"Well, I know it's your favorite I am you."
I sat in the chair.
"So, uh, I don't really know how to ask this. How'd you get here?"
"Drove here from work."
"But, I mean, how is there two of me?"
"Does it matter? It's not like I'm takin' your chair or somethin'."
I thought for a minute.
"I guess not."
I finally sat in my chair and looked towards the TV. My show was on. Our show was on.
"So, Dave, how was your day at work?"
"Good. Well, I mean, except what Mr. James did."
"I know right, can't he ever just mind his own business?"
I laughed at my own joke.
"I guess there's no such thing as a nice boss."
"You can say that again."
"I guess there's no such thing as a nice boss."
This time he laughed at his own joke.
"At least we can get home and sit down and watch TV."
"Yeah. Plus it's nice to have someone to talk to."

"He's talking to himself, what should we do?" the man asked gesturing to the man, Dave, living in the artificial world, completely alone.
"We can't interfere. If creating "imaginary friends" is his way of coping then we need to record it, not criticize it."
"No, seriously, the man responded, "he's talking to himself."

No comments:

Post a Comment